Horizontal Boring Mill (HBM)
Showing all 3 results
Horizontal Boring Mill (HBM) Listings:
Looking for a Used Horizontal Boring Mill for Sale? Do You Need Help Determining the Best Horizontal Boring Mill to Buy for Your Company? You’ve Come to the Right Place!
No matter what type of used horizontal boring mill (HBM) you are looking for, we can help you make an informed decision and buy a great machine that will serve your company for years to come. All the used horizontal boring mills for sale at CNCMachines.net have been thoroughly checked and refurbished as needed. We carry hundreds of machines all the time, so we can provide you with a great selection at consistent, fair prices. Boring mills are used to machine parts for use in oil and gas, windmill, mining, printing, chemical processing, aerospace, shipbuilding, construction, and even the machinery business. Whatever the industry, you can’t beat the value of buying a used horizontal boring mill instead of a new one.
By offering you a quality used horizontal boring mill, we provide access to equipment and technology to keep you competitive and producing parts at high levels of efficiency. We’re here if you want to sell a used machine tool and replace it with a different one or if you want to find a used horizontal boring mill for sale to increase production. We want to partner with you, so call us at 844.262.6789 and we’ll get started to find the best solutions for your shop. Our in-house service center ensures that quality used milling machines are ready to be put to work in your shop as soon as possible. We carry horizontal boring machines from many manufacturers including Giddings & Lewis, Wotan, Hurco, Doosan, Lucas, Tos Varnsdorf, Van Norman, Cincinnati, Toshiba/Shibaura, Union, Kearney & Trecker and Pfeifer.
Why buy a horizontal boring machine instead of another machine tool?
Horizontal boring machines have the spindle mounted horizontally with the workpiece stationary and the tool turning. This allows for boring of much larger work pieces than a vertical boring machine tool. Traditional horizontal machining centers aren’t built for the larger pieces. The spindle advances out from its headstock on horizontal boring machines which allows the end user to reach into small cavities. Horizontal boring machines are built to support the boring of very large parts for a wide range of industries.
How to Write an RFQ for a Used Horizontal Boring Milling Machine
Here are some guidelines to help you write a detailed RFQ for a used boring mill. If you do your research and write down what you need, shopping for it will be much easier. You can even send us that RFQ and we can quickly help you identify the best used boring mill for your company. Here’s how you can make a list of your requirements so that you find the best fit. Ask yourself:
- What is the big picture driving our need for purchasing a used boring mill?
- Types of materials you want to machine – Are they easy-to-machine or challenging materials?
- Tolerances you need – What are common tolerance requirements?
- Industries our company will be primarily be serving – How complex are the parts for this industry?
- Level of production we’ll be running – High volume light-out? Short runs? One-off’s?
- What expertise if available in my shop – Does anyone know the controls or have time to learn?
- Future plans for growth – Will this equipment meet growing demand 5 years from now?
- Brand preference – Do we have a brand preference for our machine tools?
- Technology and connectivity plans – Will we ever need data from this machine directly?
- What is our budget? How quickly do we need a return on investment?
- How soon do we need this used boring mill operational?
- What is the general size and type of boring machine that is needed?
After you have the general scope of the parts, production quantities, industries, etc., then you are ready to drill down and determine more details for writing your horizontal boring machine RFQ. Below are ways for you to describe what you are looking for:
- CNC or Conventional?
- Multi-axis: 4-axis, 3-axis, 5-axis, 6-axis
- Column Type: Traveling column or T-Column?
- Rotating Table
- High Productivity
- For Large Work Pieces
- For Molds
- With Linear Motor
- Bridge Type
3. What specifications should be on the listing for a horizontal boring mill for sale?
These are the types of things you should see in listings for used boring mills. Each listing should specify either horizontal or vertical boring and provide you with these details. If not, then move on, or inquire with the seller.
- Spindle Diameter
- X, Y, Z Travel or envelope
- Spindle taper size
- Quill travel
- Table size
- Spindle speeds
- Spindle power
- Rotary Table Size (if a rotary table is included)
- Allowable table weight
- Coolant system
- Digital readout system
- Chip conveyor system
- Overall machine weight
Write your RFQ for a Boring Machine.
Using the above information, write a detailed RFQ for the horizontal boring milling machine. You may write it in paragraph form or in bullet points. However, the more details you can include in the RFQ document, the more likely you are to identify the best machine quickly. Buying a used horizontal boring milling machine is a lot like painting – much of the work is in the preparation.
Have you found a used horizontal boring mill for sale that looks interesting? Here’s what you can do before you see it.
- Ask for good photos. Zoom up in the photos and look for signs of damage and worn components.
- Speak with the manufacturer or distributor in the territory where that machine was (or is) operational. They may be familiar with the service provided on specific HBM’s in their own territory.
- Search similar horizontal boring mills for sale to see how pricing compares.
- Get the hours of operation.
- Ask for the maintenance records of the used HBM that you are considering. Ask for as much documentation as the seller can provide. This will help you if you have problems and provide you with details for buying parts later.
- Find out what other tooling and accessories are for sale that could go with this used horizontal boring mill.
How to Inspect a Used Horizontal Boring Mill On-Site
Once you’ve done your homework, and you think you’ve finally identified the perfect used HBM for your company, you may decide to buy it without looking at it, or you want to go the extra mile an inspect the machine for yourself. We require pre-inspection of all equipment by yourself or your representative before purchase. If you choose to buy it from CNCMachines.net, we can offer you options on how to ensure that the used CNC equipment you are buying meets your quality standards. Here are some inspection tips below.
- Inspect for damage and worn components. Carefully look all over the machine. There are enough used HBM’s available that you shouldn’t have to buy a machine with obvious damage or signs of wear.
- Ask to operate the machine to see it actually run. Make some chips!
- Listen to the sounds of the axis moving at different speeds
- Run the spindle at the max RPM.
- Look at the guards and sensors on the machine. If sensors, switches, wires and hoses all match and look like they match well, that’s an indication of a well-maintained machine.
- Make parts on the machine if possible.
- Check the tool-changer or turret. See how well it changes tools at different areas of the tool changer
- Check the electrical cabinet for anything that looks like “not factory” and ask about it.
- If you are planning on buying this machine, take a photo of the serial number plate which contains valuable information. Ask the seller to make a backup of the controller program while you are there.
- Ask if the seller can provide the manuals that came with the machine.
- If possible, ask the owner why he’s selling the machine.
- Find out what process controller is on the machine. For older machines, the processor may have been upgraded.
- Review pallet changer options.
- Review chip & coolant management options.
- Find out the electrical requirements for install.
- Discuss payment options, you may get a better deal with a cash down-payment.
- Buy from someone who has a good reputation.
We are a trusted source of used HBM CNC’s and consistently take in used horizontal boring mills. In addition, CNCMachines.net carries other types of machining centers in a wide range of configurations. All our CNC machines have been thoroughly checked and refurbished as necessary to ensure our customers are satisfied. We welcome you to call 844.262.6789 or visit and inspect one of our used horizontal boring mills for yourself.